Thursday, April 27, 2006

oh, I really do knit!

Honestly, I do knit. I taught myself how to do the knit and purl stitch from one of those old needlework booklets when I was a teenager, but never had anyone to show me anything else (my mom crochets, not knits). I kind of left it alone after that, because you can only make so many tube dresses for your little sister's barbie dolls. But, about a year ago, while Christmas shopping, I picked up a "Teach Yourself to Knit" kit. And while the kids were visiting their other parents over the break, I sat down and taught myself again. Then, I got online and found a local yarn shop, The Genuine Purl. Then, I signed up for some beginning knitting classes. Then, I got online and found an enormous wealth of information, videos, tutorials, patterns... I was on my way to being obsessed with another thing to do! I really don't have a lot of time to knit, and usually do it when I'm waiting for one of my kids at a sports, theatre, music practice/event or while riding in the car with my husband driving, but I absolutely love it. It's so calming and meditative and practical!

These are a few of my works-in-progress.






And I just picked up some Crystal Palace Deco Ribbon to make a cute shrug/sweater for this summer. Hopefully, I'll have some finished projects to show real soon!

No comments: